With more than 100 years of combined experience and over 400 peer-reviewed journal publications and presentations, Mitomics has achieved recognition locally and internationally in the biotechnology sector.
The research team at Mitomics has published numerous articles related to their scientific research. Below is a selection of our scientific publications grouped by subject matter.
In this poster, presented at the Society of Urologic Oncology 2010, we show that a single mitochondrial deletion assay for field effects in prostatic tissue has significant potential as a clinical tool for management of the patient with a benign prostate biopsy. With a negative predictive value of 92%, patients without prostate cancer may be readily identified, while those who may have occult disease are highlighted as well (Sensitivity of 85%).
- Accurate prediction of repeat prostate biopsy outcomes by a mitochondrial DNA deletion assay. Prostate Cancer and Prostatic Diseases 2010 Jan 19.
- Prostate cancer: detection and monitoring using mitochondrial mutations as a biomarker. Methods of Cancer Diagnosis, Therapy and Prognosis. General Methods and Overviews, Lung Carcinoma and Prostate Carcinoma (Vol. 2) Hayat, M.A. (Ed). Springer. USA (2008). Chapter 32, pg. 439-462.
- Mitochondrial genome deletion aids in the identification of both false and true negative prostate needle core biopsies. American Journal of Clinical Pathology 2008, 129(1), 57-66.
- *Somatic mitochondrial DNA mutations in prostate cancer and normal appearing adjacent glands in comparison to age-matched prostate samples without malignant histology. Journal of Molecular Diagnostics 2006, 8(3),1-8.
* Article was specifically selected for continuing medical education (CME) credits. This means that this article was chosen among others to be reviewed and questions answered by trainees, clinicians and researchers interested in the molecular basis of disease and the application of nucleic acid assays for diagnostic and prognostic analysis of disease.
- Altered metabolism and mitochondrial genome in prostate cancer. Journal of Clinical Pathology 2006, 59(1), 10-16.
- Ultraviolet radiation exposure accelerates the accumulation of the aging-dependent T414G mitochondrial DNA mutation in human skin. Aging Cell 2007, 6(4), 557-564.
- Real-time PCR analysis of a 3895 bp mitochondrial DNA deletion in non-melanoma skin cancer and its use as a quantitative marker for sunlight exposure in human skin. British Journal of Cancer 2006, 94, 1887-1893.
- The incidence of both tandem duplications and the common deletion in mitochondrial DNA from three distinct categories of sun-exposed human skin and in prolonged culture of fibroblasts. Journal of Investigative Dermatology 2006, 126, 408-415.
- The role of mitochondria in aging and carcinogenesis. Clinical and Experimental Dermatology 2006, 31(4), 548-52.
- Towards a 'free radical theory of graying': Melanocyte apoptosis in the aging human hair follicle is an indicator of oxidative stress induced tissue damage. FASEB Journal 2006, 20(9), 1567-9.
- The anti-psoriatic drug anthralin accumulates in keratinocyte mitochondria, dissipates mitochondrial membrane potential, and induces apoptosis through a pathway dependent on respiratory competent mitochondria. FASEB Journal 2005, 19(8), 1012-4.
- Using mitochondrial DNA as a biosensor of early cancer development. British Journal of Cancer 2005, 93(3), 271-272.
- Implications of using the ND1 gene as a control region for real-time PCR analysis of mitochondrial DNA deletions in human skin. Journal of Investigative Dermatology 2004, 122, 1518-1522.
- The use of a 3895bp mitochondrial DNA deletion as a marker for sunlight exposure in human skin. Journal of Investigative Dermatology 2004, 123, 1020-1024.
- Current pitfalls in the measurement of the 4977 bp mitochondrial DNA common deletion in human skin. Journal of Investigative Dermatology 2003, 120, 981-982.
- Mitochondrial DNA damage in non-melanoma skin cancer. British Journal of Cancer 2003, 88, 90-95.
- Mitochondrial and nuclear genomics and the emergence of personalized medicine. Human Genomics, July 5, 2012.
- Facile Whole mtGenome Resequencing From Nipple Aspirate Fluid Using MitoChip v2.0. BMC Cancer 2008, 8:95.
- Mitochondrial Genome Analysis in Biofluids For Early Cancer Detection and Monitoring. Expert Opinion on Medical Diagnostics 2008, 2(3), 263-275.
- The mitochondrial genome: a biosensor for early cancer detection? Expert Opinion on Medical Diagnostics 2007, 1(2), 1-13.
- Clinical implications and utility of field cancerization. Cancer Cell International 2007, 7, 2.
- Targeting homeostatic mechanisms of ER stress to increase susceptibility of cancer cells to apoptosis: The role of stress proteins ERdj5 and ERp57. British Journal of Cancer 2007, 96(7), 1062-1071.
- Mitochondrial dysfunction accounts for the stochastic heterogeneity in telomere-dependent senescence. PLoS Biology 2007, 5(5), 110.
- Analysis of potential cancer biomarkers in mitochondrial DNA. Current Opinion in Molecular Therapeutics 2006, 8(6), 500-506.
- Mitochondrial DNA as a potential tool for early cancer detection. Human Genomics 2006, 2(4), 252-257.
- Disruption of MEF2 activity in cardiomyoblasts inhibits cardiomyogenesis. Journal of Cell Science, 2006, 119, 4315-4321.
- The pseudomitochondrial genome influences mistakes in heteroplasmy interpretation. BMC Genomics 2006, 7, 185.
- A maternal line study investigating the 4977-bp mitochondrial DNA deletion. Experimental Gerontology, 2003, 38, 567-571.