Developing More Accurate, Non-Invasive Tests with our Mitomic Technology™
Mitomics is a pioneer and innovator in the area of mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) technology - a new and revolutionary approach to screening, diagnosis and treatment of cancer and other disease states. Since 2001, the research team at Mitomics has generated significant discoveries and intellectual property assets relating to early disease detection, mitochondrial biology and mitochondrial genomics. Our discoveries have been well documented in scientific literature, such as:
- 3.4kb mitochondrial genome rearrangements associated with cancer1
- A 3.9kb mitochondrial genome rearrangement resulting from exposure to ultraviolet radiation2
- Progression of the concept of field cancerization, a phenomenon whereby normal appearing cells in the vicinity of cancerous cells share similar molecular profiles; in particular to Mitomics' research, these profiles are indicated by mutated mitochondrial signatures1,3
- Further characterization and evidence for the pseudomitochondrial genome, mitochondrial-like DNA sequences present in the nuclear genome4
These discoveries and unique insights into mtDNA have enabled the development of our groundbreaking molecular tests. Our proprietary Mitomic Technology™ is able to address many of the limitations of current disease detection approaches and provides significant benefits over traditional DNA-based biomarkers and tests. The unique structural and functional characteristics of mtDNA make it a highly attractive system for biomarker discovery, early disease detection, monitoring, risk assessment and therapeutic targeting.
Mitomics' proprietary mtDNA biomarkers allow for:
- The potential of unprecedented early detection of disease
- Non-invasive detection and monitoring of solid tumors
- Reliable detection of disease with high sensitivity and specificity
- Diagnosis of disease in adjacent, normal tissue or tumor margins through a "field effect"
- Robust assay due to high copy number which allows routine marker detection in samples with low cellularity
- Rapid, cost effective screening and discovery
The Importance of mtDNA Technology in Early Cancer Detection
Large-scale deletions in mtDNA can indicate cellular changes that are associated with the development of cancer. Additionally, these changes and mutations accumulate in a way that enables quantitative measurement.
Mitomic Testing for a Variety of Disease States
Using our proprietary Mitomic Technology, Mitomics is developing an advanced portfolio of solutions for disease detection and prognosis. Mitomic Tests currently in development include tests for the early detection of:
- Prostate cancer
- Breast cancer
- Uterine cancer
- Cervical cancer
- Colorectal cancer
- Melanoma, skin cancer and other dermatological conditions
All of these revolutionary tests will offer high sensitivity and specificity and most will be non-invasive.
- Maki, et al. Mitochondrial Genome Deletion Aids in the Identification of False- and True-Negative Prostate Needle Core Biopsy Specimens. Am J Clin Path. 2008;129;57-66.
- Krishnan, et al. The Use of 3895 bp Mitochondrial DNA Deletion as a Marker for Sunlight Exposure in Human Skin. J Invest Dermatol. 2004;123;1020-1024.
- Parr, et al. Somatic Mitochondrial DNA Mutations in Prostate Cancer and Normal Appearing Adjacent Glands in Comparison to Age-Matched Prostate Samples without Malignant Histology. J Mol Diagn. 2006; 8;312-319.
- Parr, et al. The Pseudomitochondrial Genome Influences Mistakes in Heteroplasmy Interpretation. BMC Genomics. 2006; 7;185.,